Calendar & Events

No items are available at this time.
History

 

The Civil War was a stepping stone for America's history and was also a major stepping stone in the history of the Georgia Baptist Children's Homes and Family Ministries, Inc.  Women at the Second Baptist Church of Atlanta recognized the need for a home for destitute and helpless children orphaned by the Civil War.

In 1872, the first Orphan's Home opened in Downtown Atlanta.  In 1888, a charter was received to establish the Georgia Baptist Asylum for Orphaned Children.  The first campus opened in 1899 in Hapeville, Georgia and served 65 children. 

During the beginning years, the Orphan's Home received financial support from the Georgia Baptist Convention Cooperative Program. However, during the Great Depression, Baptist Convention funds were stretched; therefore it was mutually agreed that the Georgia Baptist Children's Homes and Family Ministries would raise its own funding.

 

Much growth was taking place with the Home, and with the growth came change.  During the 1940's, the name changed to Georgia Baptist Children's Home.  Also, the Trustees approved the purchase of the Southern Industrial Orphan's Home in Baxley, Georgia. In 1956, the Pine Mountain Orphan's Home was given to the Children's Home. Now, the organization had three campuses that served children all over the state. The original Hapeville campus moved to Palmetto, Georgia in 1968.
 
 

 

More growth continued with the name change in 1985 to Georgia Baptist Children's Homes and Family Ministries, Inc.  We began reaching out to hurting children by developing community-based group homes.  Today, group homes exist in Brooks, Carrollton, Newnan and Demorest.

 

 GBCH&FM extended our ministry in 1995 to children and young adults with disabilities by starting Camp Hawkins, a week long summer camp to meet specialized needs.

 

The Children's Home also began a maternity care ministry in 1990.  We currently operate a maternity home at our Palmetto campus for pregnant women.  This facility provides a safe place where expectant mothers receive necessary prenatal care and education about parenthood.

                                                                                                                                   


In 1998, Georgia Baptist Children's Homes moved its central offices to the Dobbs Administration Building in Palmetto.  We purchased the Phoenix Program, now known as the Nelson Price Treatment Center, which is a drug and alcohol treatment program for adolescents.  Also, the Children's Homes furthered our ministry to children with developmental disabilities with the creation of Matthew's Time, a respite weekend program for children with severe disabilities.

In June 2004 Angel's House, a community group home program began ministering to children in the Newnan/Coweta County area. 

In 2005, We established a permanent location for Camp Hawkins and Matthew's Time and opened Jacob's Ladder, our group home in Demorest, Georgia.

 
In 2006, We opened the Douglas Children's Shelter in Douglas to serve as an emergency shelter to children in need in South Georgia.
 
In February 2007, we acquired Good Shepherd Therapuetic Center a unique farm based residential program for boys provides both short and long-term care and offers an outpatient therapeutic riding program.
 
In Februray 2009, we partnered with Wellspring Living to open The Victory Program, which ministers to young girls who have been victimized by exploitation.
 

 In 2012, Georgia Baptist Children's Homes recieved reaccreditation through the Council on Accreditation (COA).

In 2013, we opened a new Maximum Watchful Oversight (MWO) Program in Meansville serving children with dual diagnosis.

We expanded our Maximum Watchful Oversight (MWO) Program in Baxley in 2014, and began a Family Care Program in locations throughout the state.

 


©2003 - 2021 Georgia Baptist Children's Homes and Family Ministries, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.
Church Websites | Ministry Websites by ChristianCMS, a Service of Inspyre.